News Release

SUPERVISOR DIANNE JACOB

DATE: Feb. 20, 2002

CONTACT STEVE SCHMIDT AT 619-531-4766 or 619-206-9108

 

JACOB URGES CPUC TO PROTECT COUNTY'S QUEST FOR CHEAPER POWER

"Banning energy contracts between San Diego County's largest employers and private energy providers could prove detrimental in the state's current economic climate," "Supervisor Dianne Jacob told members of the California Pubic Utilities Commission in San Francisco today. "It would cost San Diego County taxpayers as much as $10 million over the next three years," Jacob warned.

The commission is weighing the fate of hundreds of Direct Access energy contracts which allow California electric customers to enter into service agreements with alternative energy suppliers. The commission is considering a ruling that would eliminate all exisiting Direct Access contracts retroactive to July 1, 2001.

Previously, the Commission had allowed for a Sept. 20, 2001 deadline following deregulation of the State's energy market.

Jacob said she hoped to protect the County's own Direct Access contract with a private power provider.

"It is difficult to put together a workable County budget for taxpayers when we can't estimate our electric bills and plan for our electricity costs," Jacob said.

She added that San Diego County's Direct Access contract took months of staff time to negotiate last fall.